How to Eliminate Electrical Hazards in the Garage

When people tend to think of garage storage, they usually only think of it as a means of getting organized, but there are actually additional benefits as well. Not only do you end up with a much cleaner place, you also save money through a variety of ways and it makes a much safer environment for your family to be in.

Each year, thousands of accidents in the garage require medicals visits of some kind, due to either a fall, being struck by a sharp object, fires, or some other type of accident. In addition to those mentioned there is also the risk of potential poisoning from the chemicals that are stored in the garage as well as electrical hazards. When people tend to think of electrical hazards, it springs to mind the images of a downed telephone wire with sparks flying every way. There are some things to be aware of when it comes to eliminating any potential for electrical mishaps. Follow these key tips to help keep your family safe and protected.

Always check the cords to see what condition they are in before and after use. If they looked damaged or split, be sure to get them replaced before using them again. Check any appliances that are running in the garage monthly to make sure the wires are in good condition as well.

Check the ratings for electricity on any appliances or tools that are being used to make sure they are being correctly used. This goes for extension cords as well, you never want to attach an extension cord to something that has a higher electrical rating. If you are going to use extension cords, make sure you are using the right type as some are labeled specifically for inside or outside the house.

Any outlets that are not in use should be covered if there is nothing in it. This will keep children from sticking anything in the outlet outside as well as to prevent dust and dirt from building up. Clean the garage periodically to make sure dirt and dust have not accumulated that could possibly affect any of the electrical current. It is also important to keep any electrical equipment dry and not wet when they are plugged in or in use.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.