Question to Ask Before Installing Or Having a 480v Transformer Installed in a Home Or Office Setting

Before working with any electrical system, especially one with which one is going to be working with a 480v transformer, one either needs to be a certified electrician or have had training in electrical engineering. However, whether one is installing a 120-240v in a home setting or 240v-480v in a business, there are also other important factors and information with which one need be aware. This includes, but is not limited to, the availability of a local utility to supply electricity to such an installation as well as the correct selection of a transformer or transformers by the customer.

For, unless such electrical installations can be serviced through a local power company, one is merely wasting their time. As such, it is very important to know all rules and regulations applying to same. This is especially true in relation to companies who may run many motors or processes off one transformer. For, while such a transformer is necessary to run such a large operation, so are the right conditions regarding same.

Although, when installing such a system in an office in order to run heavy machinery, motors and the like, one may want to think of a separate, lower voltage system to run everyday necessities such as lights and office equipment. As, while the heavy equipment can run fine off 480v, lighting and most other basic office equipment can often require a distribution system known as a dry type in order to provide the 208 and 120 volt leads needed to run more basic equipment. For, at times using such high voltage can run low voltage equipment, often one can run the risk of shock to oneself, or risk shorting out the equipment one may be using in such a situation. Whereas, the 120-240v does not have enough power to run equipment which requires a higher voltage outlet.

So, then how does one know what to ask for when calling an electrician, or shopping at the local home center for help in such concerns? First, it is good if one knows the voltage of the load of the plug as the voltage must match the voltage output of the outlet. Next, one must know if the load is a single phase, i. E., one plug or a three-phase or three-prong plug as each are fed from different electrical supply banks within the electrical system. After which, one must also know the amps or KVA settings along with the Hertz (Hz) or frequency of the load. Last but not least, one needs to know whether the installation will be done indoors or out, and whether or not there are issues involved which require additional insulation, or other requirements.

To this end, one example of such a set-up is the 480v general purpose transformer which is the type most often used in such installations. However, as long as one uses the correct voltage for the output of the electrical outlet, most likely all appliances or machinery are going to work fine. Still, if one is not a certified electrician or has no experience or training such regard, it is essential that one call a professional in order to protect both oneself and one’s property from, what at times can be, irrehensible harm.